Forward your non-www to www
Once you have pointed your new domain name (www.example.com) to Brikl, the next step is to forward your non-www to www.
What is domain forwarding?
A domain using domain forwarding forwards traffic from the original domain name as entered by the user in the address bar to the specified domain, which is what they'll see that displayed in the address bar instead.
GoDaddy and Brikl
With Brikl, a DNS name is provided rather than IP addresses. This allows for changes to the structure of the service (so you can scale up or down, upgrade, fail and replace, etc.) without having to change DNS or configurations.
Some (technical things) to consider
Our platform doesn't support zone apex records, or 'naked domains' to point or be redirected towards third-party web content. A zone apex record is a DNS record at the root of a DNS zone, such as 'example.com.' RFC 1034 states that the zone apex must be an A record, and not a CNAME record. This means that the zone apex record must point to one or more IP addresses.
Ready to start domain forwarding your Brikl account using GoDaddy?
- Go to the control panel of your GoDaddy account and select your domain name from the list, if applicable. You may have just one, in which case, select that one.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to your chosen domain name then 'Forward Domain'.
- When you've navigated to the forwarding section, click 'Add'.
- Type in the domain then add your subdomain (up to 25 characters). In this example, briklexample.com, you'd 'Forward to' www.briklexample.com.
- The 'Forward Type' is permanent (301).
- Settings 'Forward only'
- Check 'Update my name servers and DNS settings to support this change'.
- Preview to test that your domain forwarding has been configured correctly.
- Then hit save!
Some things to consider
- It can take up to 48 hours for the DNS changes to be fully implemented.
- You can remove domain forwarding to use your domain with other products. If you delete your forwarded domains, you won't delete the domain names.